STUTTGART, Germany (Reuters) – World champions Germany thrashed Norway 6-0 in their Group C match yesterday, scoring four times in the first half including a Timo Werner double, to edge closer to a place at next year’s World Cup in Russia.The Germans killed off the game in a whirlwind first half, scoring three times in the opening 21 minutes, and can wrap up qualification away to second-placed Northern Ireland, who beat the Czech Republic 2-0, on October 5.Four-time world champions Germany, who also scored through Mesut Ozil, Julian Draxler, Leon Goretzka and Mario Gomez, need a point from their last two games – in Belfast and three days later at home to Azerbaijan – to book their ticket to Russia.The Irish are five points behind the Germans, who have a maximum 24. The group winners qualify directly for the finals while the eight best second-placed teams in the nine groups go into a playoff round.It was one-way traffic from the start as Germany wanted to put last week’s scrappy 2-1 win in the Czech Republic behind them and Ozil’s 10th minute shot opened the floodgates.“After the Czech game we said we wanted to bring a different spirit into the team, a different approach,” said coach Joachim Loew, whose team have so far enjoyed their best-ever World Cup qualifying campaign with eight wins, having conceded two goals.“Especially in the last third of the pitch we wanted to find the spaces and play into them. When you do that then you create chances and we did that,” he added.Seconds after Germany took the lead Toni Kroos should have doubled it but he fired over the bar. Draxler, however, made no mistake with a fine turn and low drive in the 17th during a frantic opening spell.Werner, who was booed by a small group of German fans during the game in Prague on Friday, made it 3-0 four minutes later with the Norwegians in a daze and the Stuttgart native grabbed his sixth goal in his eighth international as he headed in a cross five minutes before the break.Goretzka headed home Draxler’s cross in the 50th and fellow substitute Gomez had time to get on the score sheet himself with yet another header to cap a dominant performance by the hosts.Germany have now won 26 of their last 31 World Cup qualifiers, having drawn the other five.
The installation replaced and greatly increased the height of an aging tower of approximately 60 feet and will serve the borough’s emergency services and public works and the state police and county hotlines. Verizon, which had previously proposed a tower atop a downtown commercial building, instead funded the construction of the tower in exchange for a reduced rent for placing its antennas there. The estimated cost to install the tower, had the borough funded it, would have been $150,000. “It’s not a beautiful thing,” said Mayor Robert Neff. He added that he had tried to get the word out during the discussion and planning stages of the tower, but even he hadn’t expected the tower to be quite so prominent.Prior to the installation, the police chief said he had brought an independent company in to do a study on the potential health effects associated with the tower. “The fact that our governing body thought this was the best look is insane,” Holmgren said. “At this point, I think what everyone wants is for Verizon to not be part of it. The second thing is, if they need to keep it erected then they need to make it prettier.” By Jenna O’Donnell |LITTLE SILVER – Concerned residents are urging borough officials to find a way to rid their neighborhood of a newly erected cellular tower many of them deemed an eyesore and a potential health concern.During a workshop and council meetings that lasted late into Monday night, angry residents lambasted the mayor and council for agreeing to let Verizon install a bulky cellular tower close to residents’ homes and Markham Place School – and for not accurately notifying them of what the new construction would entail.“I support a regular communications tower for the safety of our town,” said Alicia Holmgren, a borough resident whose property is 200 feet from the tower. “But that is not for the safety of our town at all. That is for Verizon and that is for revenue. I’m very disappointed in every single person who looked at those plans and thought that this was a good decision.”Verizon installed the 95-foot communications tower Wednesday, May 17 as part of an upgrade meant to address some of the “dead spots” in town that had been an ongoing issue for first responders, according to Chief of Police, Daniel Shaffery. Yet residents were less thrilled with the savings and more worried about the safety, aesthetics and location of the tower. Several pointed out the unknown health risks associated with radio waves and how that could affect children at the school or in the homes nearby, while others said their property values would suffer from the proximity. Most, including the mayor and council, agreed that the tower was ugly. Residents who measured the distance of the tower from their yards and homes said it was built 448 feet from Markham Place School and about 80 feet from homes with children.June 2015 photo of the Little Silver Town Hall with former cellphone tower.Holmgren, who spoke to a lawyer, said she suspected the town was buying time, and that once Verizon goes live at the tower there would be no way to get it turned off. “I’m trying to get an emergency meeting scheduled for next week so we can plead our case one more time before the tower is turned on,” she said. “We work here,” Shaffery said. “Obviously, that was a concern of ours. If it was built by me (my house) I’d probably be upset about it as well. But we do work here and there is nothing definitive that says this causes (health problems).”Neff and members of the borough council agreed to move forward with residents’ requests to pay an independent third party to monitor radio waves from the tower to ensure they are within the limits agreed upon with Verizon. They also agreed to have the borough attorney look over the contract with Verizon to find out what the penalties would be to sever ties with the company. Holmgren, who started the Facebook group “Little Silver Citizens Against the Cell Tower” in hopes of getting more people involved, said she and others felt misled by the public information that had been released about the tower and disappointed in the decision-making that lead to it. One example, she noted, was a plan approved in Sea Bright where the cell tower and base resemble a sailboat mast and lifeguard stand.Borough officials were not sure what options were available, but assured residents they would explore their concerns and requests.“Please come back to the next meeting,” said Councilman Dane Mihlon, who noted that many of these discussions had happened before, but with less public participation. “I really wish you were all here a year ago.”“We’ll try to be responsive,” Neff added. “Honestly, I don’t think any of us expected this. We’ll see if there’s something that can be done.”This article was first published in the May 25-June 1, 2017 print edition of The Two River Times.
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The 32nd episode of the Ohio Ag Net Podcast, brought to you by AgriGold, has a fun packed episode of wine, statistics, and FFA.Host Ty Higgins joins Matt Reese, Joel Penhorwood, and Bart Johnson as they hear from wine aficionado Chuck Harris of Ravenhurst Champagne Cellars. Joel and Matt continue to sort through conversations from the National FFA Convention as they joined up with a group of Ohio FFA state officers. Ty hears from NCGA’s Anthony Bush about the need to return farmer surveys by USDA’s NASS.All that and the broadcasters whining about who has to stay with Dale ahead of the upcoming National Association of Farm Broadcaster convention in Kansas City. Stay tuned!
UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension City analysts concluded that the 2028 plan, while incomplete, included significant safeguards for taxpayer dollars. The Olympics have a notorious history of runaway costs, but city officials have argued their proposal can stay within budget by relying on the region’s many existing stadiums and arenas, including the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and Staples Center.Los Angeles had bid on the 2024 Games, but embraced the 2028 alternative after Paris emerged as the front-runner for 2024 and the IOC proposed the unusual dual award.At one point during the sometimes tense meeting, Councilman Joe Buscaino shouted at a heckler, “This is right for the city.” As the vote was being taken, protesters yelled from the back of the council chamber, “Let us speak” and “sellout.”Steve Ducey of No Olympics LA, an opposition group, said the vote would take place without an independent budget analysis.“Shame on you,” he said.ADVERTISEMENT Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Much of the meeting amounted to a choreographed tribute to the city’s Olympic legacy, with frequent references to the LA Games in 1932 and 1984 and the athletes who competed in them.Olympic champions Carl Lewis and Janet Evans, who are part of a private committee behind the bid, urged approval of the plan.Lewis, holder of nine Olympic gold medals in track and field, said the Games are not just an event, “it’s about a whole city.”The deal comes with millions of dollars of financial sweeteners for accepting the later date. However, the extra four years pose challenges for Los Angeles from maintaining public interest to rewriting deals for stadiums, arenas and housing that were all hooked to 2024.City analysts recommended the council approve the contract, which faced an Aug. 18 deadline, but also emphasized a revised budget for 2028 could take months to complete.“There are inherent risks to hosting such major events so far into the future,” city analysts noted in a report on the agreement.The bulk of the revenue for the Games is expected to come from ticket sales and corporate sponsorships.Part of the deal includes creation of a reserve fund to cover any cost overruns, with the city kicking in $270 million. The state is expected to commit a similar amount, but because of the legislative calendar the state might not be able to consider its piece of the proposal until next year.In a statement, Mayor Eric Garcetti called the agreement “the deal of a lifetime.” Read Next K-pop star Jung Joon-young convicted of gang rape, spycam crimes 2 dead in California school attack; gunman shoots self PLAY LIST 03:122 dead in California school attack; gunman shoots self00:50Trending Articles01:46US defense chief agrees it’s time to take another look at defense pact with PH01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief The vote followed a morning-long committee hearing that mingled civic cheerleading and salutes to Olympic champions past with warnings about potential costs and suggestions the international event would drive up housing costs and drive out the homeless.“This opportunity is too great, we cannot pass it up,” council President Herb Wesson Jr. said.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutThe vote took place less than two weeks after the city announced an agreement with international Olympic leaders ceding the 2024 Games to rival Paris, while opening the way for Los Angeles to host the 2028 Games.The U.S. Olympic Committee board of directors must also approve the deal. The International Olympic Committee vote to award the two Olympics is scheduled for September in Lima, Peru. WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Neymar could finally make PSG debut on Sunday LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games LATEST STORIES View comments Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses FILE – In this July 30, 1932, file photo, doves are released during opening ceremonies of the Tenth Olympiad at the Coliseum in Los Angeles. The Los Angeles City Council is expected Friday, Aug. 11, 2017 to endorse a proposal to host the 2028 Olympics, following an announcement of a deal last month to leave 2024 to Paris.(AP Photo)LOS ANGELES — Los Angeles took another step Friday toward bringing the 2028 Olympics to the city, despite questions about future costs.The City Council voted 12-0 to endorse documents at the heart of its plan to stage the Summer Olympics for the third time since 1932. The contract outlines Los Angeles’ financial responsibility in hosting the Games, including covering shortfalls if the $5.3 billion plan runs into the red. In addition, a budget for the proposed 2028 Games has not been completed.ADVERTISEMENT Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ
Berg insists Solskjaer can handle Man Utd jobby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveHenning Berg insists former Manchester United teammate Ole Gunnar Solskjaer can handle the job.Jose Mourinho was sacked on Tuesday morning after meeting with United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward.And Solskjaer, who flopped at Cardiff City, is set to leave Molde to take charge of United to the end of the season.“It was a completely different type of job. This will be one similar to training Molde. It’s a team to win,” Berg said.“It’s great for Norwegian football, but first and foremost it’s great for Ole himself.”United’s next game is away to Cardiff this Saturday.“He has a very big status in the club and trained the reserve team with great success,” Berg added.“He has good contacts in the club so it seems logical as a transition solution, and maybe it’ll go so well he’ll carry on.“It’s rare that there’s smoke without fire. He has the profile, the experience and status that makes him fit to lead the team until the end of the season.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Real Madrid coach Solari frustrated after Villarreal draw: We had it in our handsby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid coach Santiago Solari admitted frustration after their 2-2 draw with Villarreal.Santi Cazorla scored twice as Villarreal denied Real Madrid a chance to reduce the gap to La Liga leaders Barcelona.Cazorla’s curler earned the hosts an early lead before Karim Benzema’s header made it 1-1 after seven minutes.Raphael Varane’s header put Real ahead, but Cazorla’s late header moved Villarreal out of the relegation zone. Solari said, “We had it in our hands, we had to kill the match, then they pressed and scored the equaliser, they squeezed a lot, they are at home, they need the points. They attacked very well and we lacked depth.”On his decision to substitute Luka Modric, Solari explained, “He has given everything, Modric played with flu and has given us a lot of energy, everything he had, he made a great effort and a great match, when you leave everything you do not have energy for 90 minutes. “There are other players that can play, they are not Ballon d’Ors, but (Fede) Valverde at the moment he entered gave us energy and control, he has that stride and we are happy with the contribution of the youth.” About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Arsenal, Valencia in contact with unsettled Man Utd midfielder Andreas Pereiraby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal are watching the situation of Manchester United midfielder Andreas Pereira.The Mirror says he could walk away from Manchester United on a free transfer this summer with Arsenal and Valencia both linked.The Brazilian’s current deal concludes at the end of the season and the Red Devils are stalling over offering the 23-year-old a new deal. Two major clubs linked with midfielder are Arsenal and Valencia.Pereira spent last season on loan at the Mestalla and featured in a reasonable 29 appearances for La Liga giants.However, with just two Premier League starts to his name this season and only 17 minutes of action under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, there are fears his progression could plateu.Valencia president Jose Carlos Peres recently revealed: “He is a player that interests us a lot. He is a santista and wants to play for Santos. The family is trying. His father wants to see him at Santos for at least a year.”The problem is that Manchester are playing hard. We know the end of the contract is in the middle of the year, but we want the player now. With his father, I’ve been speaking, but we have not yet entered into the details of values.”Esporte UOL says three Premier League clubs have already made official approaches for Pereira.Among those teams are Arsenal, with Everton and West Ham also keen to recruit the player’s services.
Allegri learning English as he targets Man Utd jobby Paul Vegas23 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Juventus boss Max Allegri has been learning English as he targets a switch to Manchester United.Red Devils manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is under pressure after a slow start to the season, with his team sitting in tenth on the Premier League table.The Guardian says Allegri would be keen to replace Solskjaer at Old Trafford if the Norwegian is sacked.The Italian, who left his role at Juventus, would be willing to take the job at United even if the club do not quality for next season’s Champions League.He has been taking English lessons in preparation and would be placed on a two or three man shortlist by United should Solskjaer be sacked.However, the club do not have any plans to part ways with a coach they only recently signed to a three-year extension. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Real Madrid coach Zidane hails Benzema leadershipby Carlos Volcano2 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane has hailed the leadership Karim Benzema is showing this season.The French striker shone in victory at Champions League opponents Galatasaray last night.On Benzema’s performance, Zidane said: “The leadership role of Benzema? It comes naturally to him. “He knows he’s a captain and he takes it naturally. We are all in the same boat and everyone has to contribute in their own way. “Karim does it in his way of playing and giving instructions.”
She mentioned the Joint Commission on Science and Technology and agreements under consideration, including on air services “which is set to foster greater people-to-people movement and functional cooperation between our two countries.” Mr. Riley cited other agreements that “support the eradication of poverty and address the inequality that characterise most modern societies, issues which disproportionately confront women and children and other vulnerable groups.” Mr. Riley cited other agreements that “support the eradication of poverty and address the inequality that characterise most modern societies, issues which disproportionately confront women and children and other vulnerable groups”. Story Highlights