Courts get 18 new judges June 1, 2002 Gary Blankenship Senior Editor Regular News Courts get 18 new judges Senior Editor Florida legislators have approved a budget that adds 18 new circuit judges and support staff and expands the guardian ad litem program, keeping it under the court system for another year.Lawmakers approved the final compromise budget on May 13 that overall raised court spending about three percent. The fiscal year 2002-03 spending plan also did not replace $26 million eliminated by the legislature in a special session last fall that had been set aside to help the constitutionally mandated assumption by the state of more trial court expenses by July 2004. All court employees, including judges, also will get a 2.5-percent pay raise, effective in October.The budget conformed with the legislature’s earlier action in approving the new circuit judges, plus a judicial assistant for each judge. In addition, a law clerk will be added in each of the 11th, 17th, and 20th circuits. Those judges, half of whom will be appointed and half elected, will take office next May. The budget also included funding for an information network to speed state records to judges who need them.Chief Justice Charles Wells expressed satisfaction at the new judges, although it was less than the 34 circuit, 13 county, and two district court of appeal judges certified by the court. It was, however, more than the nine to 12 new circuit judgeships lawmakers were considering authorizing at the end of the regular session in March.“We are very appreciative of the funding provided to us by the legislature, and especially the funding for 18 new judges and an increase in the number of law clerks available to help our judges where they are most needed,” Wells said.Overall, the courts’ total budget was set at around $292 million, according to Deputy State Courts Administrator Lisa Goodner. That’s up from the $280 million originally approved for the 2001-02 fiscal year, and which was cut to $278 million by last fall’s special budget session.Because of annualizing previously approved positions that were funded for only part of a year, the actual amount of new spending is about $9 million, Goodner said. However, that doesn’t include $7.5 million more for the guardian ad litem program, which is expected to be removed from the court system’s oversight next year.“We feel very good that the legislature addressed the priorities we had and advocated,” Goodner said. That included several capital projects, listed below, for appellate courts and $3.3 million for the Integrated Justice Information Initiative.The later project intends to give trial court judges instant access to state databases they need, she said, such as records from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement or the Department of Children and Families.The $7.5 million in new funding for the guardian ad litem program included $3.5 million for contract hiring of attorneys to represent the program, Goodner said. Another $250,000 is for the Office of the State Courts Administrator for operational support and “to continue to plan a transition of the program out of the branch,” she said.The remainder is mostly earmarked for case coordinators and secretarial support, although the exact number of positions being created was still being determined as this issue went to press.Lawmakers looked at moving the guardian ad litem program from the courts to the Office of Elderly Affairs. Court officials said the guardian program is not a critical court function and expressed concern about the appearance of having a judge both appoint a guardian and then review the guardian’s work and reports.But the final budget left the program with the courts for another year, specifying it will be under the supervision of chief circuit judges.Aside from the new judges, court staff, and guardian ad litem jobs, the only other new positions approved for the courts were two positions for drug courts in the Third and Sixth circuits, which replaced cuts made in last fall’s special budget session.An Article V trust fund to pay for local court expenses was abolished by the legislature, without restoring $26 million that was borrowed last fall when the legislature grappled with a $1 billion budget shortfall.The money originally was budgeted for local court expenses, such as jury program, conflict defense attorneys, court reporters, and the like. Gov. Jeb Bush, though, vetoed some of those expenditures, saying the state needed to begin a reserve to deal with the 1998 constitutional amendment mandating the state pick up more trial court expenses from the counties. That must be done by July 2004, and the cost is expected to be $300 to $500 million.In the new budget, the legislature abolished the trust fund the $26 million had been in, and said it would fund any future programs from general revenues.On the approved new capital projects, the Supreme Court got $75,000 for maintenance and $40,000 to improve security. The Second District Court of Appeal got $433,000 to replace air conditioning and $45,000 for exterior building sealant. The Fifth DCA got $52,021 to remove a storage tank, while the Fourth DCA got $30,000 to paint its building. The Second DCA Tampa branch office also was appropriated $295,000 for its plans to occupy new offices at the Stetson College of Law branch being built in Tampa.An attorney ad litem program, run by Barry University and the Ninth Circuit for Osceola and Orange counties and which was cut last fall, had $355,000 of funding restored.The appropriations bill funds the judicial enabling legislation — introduced in the Senate by Sen. Locke Burt, R-Ormond Beach, and in the House by Rep. Dudley Goodlette, R-Naples — passed earlier in the special session by lawmakers. That provides that the Fifth, Ninth, 10th, 11th, and 17th circuits would each get two new circuit judges. The Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, 12th, 13th, 15th, 18th, and 20th circuits would each get one new judge.The bills designated that the new judgeships in the Sixth, Seventh, Ninth, 12th, 13th, 15th, and one each of those created in the Ninth and 17th circuits would be filled by election in November.The new judgeships in the Fifth, 11th, 18th, 20th and one each in the Ninth, 10th and 17th circuits would be appointed by the governor. Under the constitution, those judges would be up for re-election in 2004.
Read Also: JUST-IN: Bayern thrash Lyon 3-0, to face PSG in UCL finalThe report highlights how Pique himself has even offered to leave Barca should it help the club, with the club already having players like Clement Lenglet, Samuel Umtiti and Ronald Araujo in the position, while they have also been linked with a summer move for Manchester City defender Eric Garcia.Pique had a stint in England previously with Manchester United, but it remains unlikely that Fulham would be able to fund a move this summer.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 The Catalan giants need to drastically reduce their wage bill and also reduce the average age of their squad, so the 33-year-old central defender could be one such player who could exit the Camp Nou this summer. Diario Sport have cited a report from Libero that the central defender is a transfer target for the West London club, who won promotion earlier this month via the promotion playoffs. Newly-promoted Premier League club Fulham have tabled a surprise bid fr Barcelona defender Gerard Pique. The Blaugrana are set for major changes ahead of the 2020-21 season following their 8-2 Champions League humiliation against Bayern Munich.Advertisement Promoted Content6 Extreme Facts About HurricanesBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Them10 Of The Dirtiest Seas In The WorldWorld’s Most Delicious Foods10 TV Characters Who Were Destined To Become IconicBest Car Manufacturers In The World8 Ways Drones Will Automate Our Future6 Ridiculous Health Myths That Are Actually True6 Incredibly Strange Facts About Hurricanes11 Greatest Special Effects Movies Of All TimeA Guy Turns Gray Walls And Simple Bricks Into Works Of ArtThe Highest Paid Football Players In The World Loading…
PokerStars moves to refresh global appeal with ‘I’M IN’ August 18, 2020 BGC: Charities win big as bookies take beating in Britannia Stakes June 19, 2020 Share StumbleUpon EFL urges government to rethink gambling sponsorship ban July 3, 2020 Submit Share Related Articles The majority owner of Sky Betting and Gaming, CVC Capital is contemplating the possibility of a stock market flotation of the Leeds-based online betting operator.According to Reuters, the equity firm is looking to capitalise on soaring thriving equity markets and the continuing popularity of online betting, hiring investment bank Rothschild to examine whether a stock market listing of the British firm could be a prosperous venture. The decision has come in anticipation of the incoming government regulations on retail betting machines in the UK, which could potentially lead to Sky Bet, an operator that’s solely online increasingly more alluring to investors. However, with Sky Bet benefiting from a widespread sponsorship deal with the English Football League the group will be watchful of the review, as it is also relating to betting and gaming advertising standards.Having had its majority stake acquired by CVC Capital for £800 million in 2014, Sky Bet has gone from strength to strength, reporting a 38% increase to £516 million in revenue in its most recent results. Furthermore, these results represented continued growth for the online operator, having recorded revenue of £248 million in its 2015 results. Additionally 20% of Sky Bet is still owned by Sky, which is also subject to a lucrative takeover bid from Twentieth Century Fox. The online betting market was also bolstered earlier in the year, when Ladbrokes Coral was purchased by online gaming online gaming company GVC.History suggest that it would be naive to rule out CVC floating Sky Bet, as after purchasing William Hill in 1999, the group were listed in 2002.
Premier League Giving De Boer time would have been ‘negligent’, Palace chairman claims Ben Spratt Last updated 2 years ago 21:07 18/9/2017 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(2) Getty Images Premier League Crystal Palace While he admits there are “regrets” over how things turned out, he believes it would have been foolish to continue with the Dutchman in charge Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish believes it would have been negligent not to sack Frank de Boer, although he understands criticism of the swift decision.De Boer was given just four Premier League games in charge at Selhurst Park – resulting in four defeats without a goal scored by the Eagles – before he was replaced by Roy Hodgson last week.Eagles 10/11 for the drop Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘I’m getting better’ – Can Man Utd flop Fred save his Old Trafford career? Why Barcelona god Messi will never be worshipped in the same way in Argentina Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing And while Parish acknowledged the former Ajax and Inter coach was not given long, he feels it was clear that things were not going to plan.”Obviously results weren’t good, and I can understand people saying that four games wasn’t enough,” he told Holmesdale Radio.”But Frank was here from July 1 and, in the end, I didn’t think it was going to work. It could have gone on longer but, if that then produced the outcomes I thought it was going to, that kind of makes me negligent.”You know what you open yourself up for when you make that change, but I can’t let that make the decision.0 – Frank de Boer is the first permanent manager in @PremierLeague history to not see his team score a single goal during his reign. Glum. pic.twitter.com/0wy9L6RqLQ— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) September 11, 2017″The decision has to be ‘what is the bigger picture and is this going to improve’ – and based on two-and-a-half months, not just four games, I didn’t think it would work and I regret that.”I regret the fact that it didn’t work for Frank or the football club, but I felt I had to make that change.”Palace took their time to appoint De Boer after Sam Allardyce quit the club at the end of last season, and Parish believes that ultimately worked against the club.”It was the one we had the most time for and possibly almost agonised over it too much and it kind of became muddled thinking,” he continued.”Because we took too long, we lost some options as well. It is difficult to talk too much about what went on in that period and the thinking, but Frank impressed me when I met him and we talked a lot about what we were and the time I felt it would take to change.”It wasn’t because we didn’t think about it; perhaps we thought about it too much and maybe there was a bit of a disconnect about what could be achieved in the time.”That’s not about spending money, just about the league being very different. What Frank thought he could achieve in a short space of time wasn’t going to happen.” Check out Goal’s Premier League 2019-20 fantasy football podcast for game tips, debate and rivalries.