Despite the forecasted high temperature of 32 degrees Fahrenheit this Wednesday, the men of Siegfried Hall will be wearing t-shirts, shorts and flip flops as part of their 14th annual Day of Man fundraiser for South Bend Center for the Homeless. In fact, the colder the better, sophomore Sean Butler said. Photo courtesy Sean Residents of Siegfried Hall pose outside South Dining Hall during the 2019 Day of Man. The men of Siegfried use the annual event—in which they brave the cold in shorts and t-shirts—to fundraise for the South Bend Center for the Homeless.“Last year it was in the 40’s and we were disappointed with that … we like the challenge,” Butler, one of the students involved in coordinating the fundraiser, said.Day of Man marks the start of a fundraising effort that continues online through the Notre Dame Student Shop until the end of February. In the past 13 years, Siegfried has raised over $145,000 for the Center for the Homeless. After raising over $15,000 last year, the hall hopes to increase that number to $20,000 this year. Senior Jess Hatfield, who has led the event since his sophomore year, said the personal nature of the fundraiser is part of its appeal.“The success of the event is really about getting as many Siegfried men as possible outside begging for money,” Hatfield said in an email. “It’s a really cool event this way because there is a direct correlation between the amount of participation we have from each and every resident and the amount of money we raise.”Despite the convenience of Venmo, the Student Activities Office has historically resisted its use in fundraisers due to security concerns. “Our rector, Deacon Joe Peterson, and other rectors are trying to push for hall Venmos for upcoming years so we’re hoping that comes through,” Butler said. “This year is probably more of a transition year.”Butler said he felt the focus of the fundraiser is on coming to a better understanding of the experiences of the homeless and emphasizing solidarity.“They [the homeless] have busy lives, too. Just like we have busy lives, they have busy lives, but they have to go through their lives without a lot of basic needs met,” Butler said. “I think at the core it’s a cause that everyone can get behind and recognize that, you know, we’re all so fortunate to be here at Notre Dame.”In the future, Hatfield said, Siegfried residents hope to expand their fundraising to companies that can contribute monetary or product donations. Last year, Patagonia donated winter clothes to the Center for the Homeless in response to Siegfried residents’ efforts.“In the future, getting winter clothes companies, or any companies, for that matter, to match donations could really improve total money raised,” Hatfield said. “This is a pretty unique event, so I think if we worked hard enough, we could definitely get some good sized corporate donations.”Throughout the rest of the year, Siegfried Hall has an active relationship with the Center for the Homeless, with residents volunteering every weekend in whatever capacity they are most needed.“We work with them a lot, so it’s more than just writing a check and then being done with it,” Butler said.The fundraiser allows for community members, whether living on or off campus, to get involved in different ways, from designing t-shirts and posters to creating hype videos. Small variations, Hatfield said, can be enough to increase excitement and awareness before the fundraiser.Day of Man has retained roughly the same form since its inception. Hatfield said the simplicity of the event combined with the light-hearted and yet sincere attitude of the participants makes it effective as both a fundraiser and community building event. The sense of purpose and community drew him to the fundraiser as a First Year.“Dorm spirit and a sense of camaraderie is huge,” Hatfield said. “The spirit is contagious and definitely necessary to get all of us to stand outside half naked in the freezing cold.”Tags: Siegfried Hall, Siegfried Hall Day of Man, South Bend Center for the Homeless
Read also: KPU regulates campaign methods amid COVID-19 pandemicThe regulation also states that candidates are expected to hold campaign events online if their constituencies still have a high risk of COVID-19 transmission.The provision, however, allows candidates to host in-person rallies in locations where infections have dissipated, according to Dewa.But all in-person campaign events must be held in open-air spaces and under strict health protocols, which include physical distancing and not exceeding half of the location’s maximum occupancy.Candidates, the commissioner said, are also required to obtain permission from the COVID-19 task force in their region prior to hosting campaign rallies.“Even though our regulation still allows the candidates to hold campaign rallies under strict requirements, we hope they will opt for online campaigns for obvious health and safety reasons,” Dewa said.He said the commission was drafting another regulation to accommodate plans to hold online campaign events, establishing technical guidelines for regional candidates to promote themselves online – through teleconferences and social media platforms.He declined to discuss the details of the provisions, as they had yet to be considered by House of Representatives Commission II overseeing home affairs. The 2016 Regional Elections Law requires the KPU to consult with the House on all regulations before they are passed.The head of the Elections Supervisory Agency (Bawaslu), Abhan, said he hoped the forthcoming regulation would grant his agency access to all social media and teleconferencing accounts used by the campaign teams.He said doing so would make it easier for Bawaslu to monitor the online space for any campaign violations defined in the regional elections law, particularly smear campaigns and other malicious actions.Griffith University epidemiologist Dicky Budiman said the KPU should require all candidates to hold online rallies to prevent further transmission of the disease, especially on the island of Java, where the most cases had been recorded.The December elections are expected to install 270 regional leaders, consisting of nine governors, 37 mayors and 224 regents. Regions holding elections include 19 cities and regencies in East Java and 21 cities and regencies in Central Java, both among the provinces hit hardest by COVID-19.Read also: Voting simulation for regional polls necessary amid pandemic: Central Java governor“Holding [physical] campaign rallies is a risk to health and safety because Indonesia’s COVID-19 positivity rate is still above 10 percent, far above the WHO’s [World Health Organization] standard of 5 percent,” Dicky said.“It is better for the candidates to stick to online campaigns.”Election observers, however, are skeptical of the effectiveness of online campaigns at getting voters to the ballot box.Hadar Nafis Gumay, a former KPU commissioner and co-founder of the Network for Democracy and Electoral Integrity (Netgrit), said that voters living in rural and underdeveloped regions would find it difficult to participate in online campaigns because of a lack of access to the internet.According to a 2019 Polling Indonesia survey conducted in cooperation with the Indonesian Internet Providers Association (APJII), 38.4 percent of people living in rural areas do not have access to the internet.This comes in spite of the fact that Indonesia has one of the highest numbers of internet users in the region. Some 171 million people, or 64.8 percent of the total population of 264 million Indonesians, had internet access as of 2018.Meanwhile, Fadli Ramadhanil of the Association of Elections and Democracy (Perludem) believes that voters will likely be reluctant to participate in elections, even if campaigns are moved online.Read also: Regional elections in December may escalate COVID-19 transmission: Public health expertsFadli said that prospective voters were unlikely to prioritize the elections as long as the COVID-19 epidemic still raged on.He based his argument on a Kompas Research and Development Department (Litbang) survey released on June 8 that showed that only 29.8 percent of the 5,371 respondents agreed that the elections should be held in the midst of the pandemic.Topics : The General Elections Commission (KPU) will ask candidates in the upcoming simultaneous regional elections in December to refrain from hosting campaign rallies in person and instead bring them online, as the government presses ahead with polling under the shadow of the pandemic.Social media campaigns and teleconferencing will be the preferred method when nearly 300 regions in the country campaign from Sept. 26 to Dec. 5, election officials have said.KPU commissioner I Dewa Kade Wiarsa Raka Sandi said the move aimed to prevent further spikes in COVID-19 infections during election season, especially as the outbreak showed no signs of easing until at least the end of the year. Read also: ‘We can turn it into an opportunity’: Govt defends holding December regional electionsIndonesia’s simultaneous regional elections are to be held on Dec. 9.“Every candidate for regional leadership has the right to promote themselves through campaign rallies, but we also don’t want such events to become new sources of COVID-19 infection,” Dewa told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday. “So we will urge them to hold online campaigns to replace the usual in-person rallies.”The commission’s recommendation for online campaigns was laid out in a KPU regulation (PKPU) issued on July 6. It stipulates that KPU officers, candidates and voters must follow a list of health protocols at every stage of the election, from June 24 until the final results have been tallied a week after voting day.
NEW Zealand Cricket (NZC) have cancelled their Under-19 team’s tour to Bangladesh, slated for this month, in the aftermath of the terrorist attack on two Christchurch mosques in which at least 40 people had been killed.NZC chairman Greg Barclay said both the NZC and the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) agreed that sending an age-group team to one of the countries worst affected would be insensitive and inappropriate.“We have conveyed our deep sense of regret over the circumstances leading to this mutual decision, and the BCB have been both understanding and generous in response,” Barclay said. NZC have nothing but respect for the BCB and believe this development has only served to bring our countries closer together, and to strengthen our bond through cricket. In reply, the BCB has expressed ‘solidarity with NZC and the peace-loving people of New Zealand’.”However, Barclay said both countries remain committed to playing bilateral series across all levels, including “Developmental” and “A” tours, starting with the Bangladesh Under-19 team’s tour to New Zealand in September.Members of Bangladesh’s senior side were just “about 50 yards from the mosque”, which was the site of one of two terror attacks in Christchurch last month. They managed to escape through Hagley Park and shortly after the tour was called off.The aftermath of the attack had also seen Canterbury pull out of the final round of the Plunket Shield.(ESPN CricinfO)