Two Spanish journalists killed in eastern Burkina Faso Follow the news on Spain June 2, 2021 Find out more News RSF_en to go further Reporters Without Borders wrote to Mr Josep Bargallo, chief minister of the Catalan autonomous regional government today about a law adopted by his parliament at the end of last month that would give the Broadcasting Council of Catalonia powers to regulate media content and impose sanctions that are arbitrary and contrary to the principles of free expression. The organisation asked him to submit amendments to the law to the parliament.Dear Chief Minister,Reporters Without Borders, an international organisation that defends press freedom worldwide, would like to express its deep concern about the broadcasting law that was passed by the Catalan parliament on 29 December.We are aware that the Catalan autonomous community needs to have a law regulating the news media, but we believe that some of the provisions of this law pose an especial danger to press freedom.Articles 80.f, 111, 113, 116, 128.c-2, 132.e and 140.1 of this law would enable the Broadcasting Council of Catalonia (CAC) to impose heavy fines on news media ranging from 90,000 to 300,000 euros and to order their closure by withdrawing their licences. According to these articles, the media must respect “the principle of veracity of news and information, based on verification of facts” and must not “obstruct the government’s surveillance activity.”The law thereby grants punitive powers as extensive as those of a court of law to the Broadcasting Council, whose members are elected by a two-thirds majority of the Catalan parliament on the proposal of a minimum of three groups. The “veracity of news and information” is an expression that can be interpreted in restrictive and abusive ways. These provisions are completely contrary to the European legislation in force, which is much more favourable to the principle of free expression.We therefore call on you, Chief Minister, to submit amendments to these article to your parliament in order to make them conform to the European standards in force.We trust you will give this matter your careful consideration.SincerelyRobert MénardSecretary-General Use the Digital Services Act to make democracy prevail over platform interests, RSF tells EU SpainEurope – Central Asia Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts April 27, 2021 Find out more RSF and 60 other organisations call for an EU anti-SLAPP directive SpainEurope – Central Asia News Organisation January 19, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Catalan autonomous region asked to amend broadcasting law Catalan autonomous regional parliament adopted at the end of December a new broadcasting law, which pose an especial danger to press freedom. Reporters Without Borders wrote today to the chief minister of the Catalan autonomous regional asking him to amend the law. News News December 2, 2020 Find out more
Topics : “The return of football is a sign that society is progressing to the new normal,” agreed Tebas earlier this month, adding “it will restore a part of life that people in Spain know and love.” Spain has managed to bring the number of infections under control in recent weeks, with the government reporting no deaths from coronavirus on Monday for the first time since the beginning of March. But with more than 27,000 confirmed fatalities, the country has been one of the worst-hit in the world and it is no surprise the approach to football’s return has been cautious and the attitude of some fearful. “It is possible that by losing the passion and intensity, which is really the essence of football, it will also lose that emotional center that is the hook for so many people,” said psychologist Adelaida Navaridas. Many are adamant that, without fans, the campaign should not resume at all. “We understand we cannot go to the stadium due to the risk of infection,” said Joseba Combarro, president of the Eskozia La Brava, the most significant supporters’ club at Eibar, whose squad members have expressed reservations about playing too soon. “But the players share the same risk as the fans, the risk is for everyone. The league should be suspended.” La Liga president Javier Tebas said Spanish football’s return will allow people to feel a sense of normality again but it may also serve as a reminder of an uncomfortable new reality. Spain’s top division is set to restart on June 11 and to be completed on July 19, yet the expectation is players will be subjected to safety protocol for several months and stadiums will not be full again until next year. In the short-term at least, its reemergence could offer some comfort. “There is no doubt the resumption of football will contribute to a general sense of relief among certain groups of people, who have been struggling with the pandemic,” David Moscoso, a specialist in sports sociology, told AFP. ‘Social heart’ It is not only the atmosphere inside stadiums that will be lost. “The social heart of football comes from people getting ready for the game with friends, with family, and then staying together afterwards. All that is broken,” adds Guillermo Fouce, a professor of psychology at Madrid’s Complutense University. “But between having it back at 100 per cent or nothing at all is something in between that helps us to adapt. I think it’s still better to move closer to what was normal before.”La Liga have been eager to point to the economic benefits too, for people’s jobs and livelihoods. “Football’s return means the revival of a very relevant economic sector,” said Tebas. “It contributes 1.37 per cent of GDP and generates 185,000 jobs at a time when the economic situation is already the main concern.” “It is the primary service export industry in our country,” adds Moscoso. “It’s economic role is self-evident.” Television companies like Movistar, the biggest broadcaster of games in Spain, have also been promoting the idea that football’s revival amounts to progress. Every Sunday night this month, Movistar has hosted a program called “Volver Es Ganar”, “To Return is To Win”, a slogan that has also been carried by players and clubs alike. First and foremost, the game is coming back because of its own financial needs, with Tebas admitting clubs stood to lose around 1 billion euros ($1.1 billion) if the season was cancelled.Fans will have football again but, for a while at least, in a very different way to before.”Perhaps we have to consider that our new normal is going to be different,” Fouce said. “That nothing is going to be exactly the same as before.”
Augustus property consultant Ric King with his wife Simone.“Augustus has seen a clear upsurge in first-home buyers and retirees lapping up the savings from the two government grants,” Mr King said.“The pending expiry of both grants spurred sales and allowed more first-home buyers to enter the market with a potential saving of up to $32,000.”The 763 lot project in the heart of Hervey Bay, offers a range of family-friendly features including community parklands and an enclosed dog park.Augustus is less than 1km from local shopping and medical facilities with easy access to neighbouring beachside suburbs at Hervey Bay.With new homes selling from $337,000, the estate has three and four-bedroom homes at Augustus come complete, landscaped and ready to move into, and all just 4km from the Hervey Bay Esplanade and 13km from the airport. Augustus estate in Hervey Bay is past the halfway mark in sales.FIRST-home buyers and retirees have pushed a large development in Hervey Bay past the halfway mark with more than 400 sales since its launch.Developer Villa World’s, Augustus masterplanned residential development, has experienced strong sales in recent months reporting its been pushed by a strong cohort of first-home buyers and retirees.Villa World development manager Gary Hunter said the project had attracted consistent buyer interest over many years, but the combination of the now expired $12,000 Hervey Bay Housing Affordability Grant, and the State Government’s boosted first homeowner’s grant of $20,000 had generated an influx of buyers for the project.“In recent months, we’ve seen record sales figures at Augustus from first-home buyers and retirees alike,” Mr Hunter said.“Villa World has a great reputation in providing an affordable, quality product to market. The grant was just the icing on the cake.”The latest sales have led first-home buyers to account for 70 per cent of sales at Augustus, with 20 per cent to retirees and only 10 per cent to investors. More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home6 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor6 hours agoSales have almost doubled in recent months with 33 contracts secured in the March quarter of 2017. Augustus property consultant Ric King said sales momentum and figures had reflected the success of the grants.
Lakers practice early hoping to answer all questions Lakers, Clippers schedules set for first round of NBA playoffs The exhibition for standout first- and second-year players again drafted Ball (9.9 ppg, 5.4 apg, 5.3 rpg) and Kuzma (19.1 ppg, 5.9 rpg) to the American team, which includes fellow young stars De’Aaron Fox (Sacramento Kings), Jaren Jackson (Memphis Grizzlies) and Donovan Mitchell (Utah Jazz). In Lakers history, only Brandon Ingram, D’Angelo Russell and Jordan Farmar have been selected to play twice.They’ll play against the “World Team,” which includes Ben Simmons (Philadelphia 76ers), Luka Doncic (Dallas Mavericks), Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (Clippers) and DeAndre Ayton (Phoenix Suns).The game doesn’t seem to mesh well with Ball’s recovery timeline for his sprained left ankle. He’s due for three-to-five more weeks of rehabilitation. Kuzma, who is day-to-day with a hip strain, is a more likely nod. Trail Blazers beat Grizzlies in play-in, earn first-round series with the Lakers Trail Blazers, Grizzlies advance to NBA play-in game; Suns, Spurs see playoff dreams dashed AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with Packers“I don’t think he’s going full out yet,” Walton said. “Haven’t really seen him drive the lane and tomahawk dunk on anyone but he’s moving, he’s moving well and he’s getting up and down the court and he’s shooting well. He doesn’t look like he’s hurting at all when he moves.”Sign up for Home Turf and get exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.Every sign feels hopeful for the Lakers, who have now been without James for 17 consecutive games. The fact that he participated in the full shootaround was a development, although Walton cautioned that the Lakers are taking it slow with his injury, just during the stage when he might be most tempted to rush back.“We’ve waited this long we’re not going to rush him back now, so whenever he feels healthy enough to go is when that will be,” he said. “But I think he’s just happy to be back on the basketball court again. It’s been a while.”The Lakers also determined Tuesday morning that Kyle Kuzma, who did participate in shootaround, would not play. Walton thought the second-year forward wasn’t moving particularly well, and decided with the training staff to hold him out of a second straight game. Josh Hart also wasn’t moving well with knee tendinitis, but he was able to play.“We got to take care of our guys,” Walton said. “There are some things you can play through, and there are some things you shouldn’t play through.” EL SEGUNDO — At the end of a shooting contest Tuesday morning when Kentavious Caldwell-Pope hit the deciding 3-pointer, LeBron James leaped in the air to bump him in celebration.For a gaggle of nearby reporters it was the most explosive movement seen from James in more than a month.It was more wait-and-see ahead of the Lakers’ game against the Philadelphia 76ers, one in which James had been ruled out the day before. But there’s a different environment in Lakers practice this week, one in which James’ return seems like it could be any day now.For one thing, he’s been present after practice, rather than back in the training room or leaving early. And in those post-practice sessions, James has been shooting and seemingly having fun. In practices and shootarounds themselves, Coach Luke Walton said, he’s been doing more, even if he hasn’t gone full speed. How athletes protesting the national anthem has evolved over 17 years KUZMA, BALL SELECTED TO RISING STARS CHALLENGEAssuming they’re healthy, Lonzo Ball and Kuzma will be back at All-Star Weekend for a second straight year in the Rising Stars Challenge.Related Articles Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error