Story and photos by Joseph SapiaHOLMDEL – At the Beau Ridge residential development on Laurel Avenue, one can park a car and walk across a footbridge over a stream, only to find a small hill with a cemetery, surrounded by condominiums.It is one of various family burial grounds one can find in Central Jersey, where the farm that once sat in place is now developed land, with the cemetery still, sometimes barely, hanging on. This one is the Hendricks Family Burial Ground, where members of among the township’s oldest families – Hendricks or Hendricksons, depending on the variation of the surname – were buried from about 1700 to 1950.Now, with the warmer weather here, work is continuing on restoring the 1-acre cemetery, where it is believed 99 are buried, but with only 63 graves that are marked.What happened to the cemetery was a combination of the land being sold by the Hendrickson family in about 1985, when it was then a horse farm, for the Beau Ridge development; the cemetery falling into disrepair; and, in 2010, the governing body of Beau Ridge residents hiring a company to clear the cemetery, according to Art Rittenhouse of Sayreville, one of the family members.The latter led to a lawsuit by the Hendricks and Hendrickson Family Association of New Jersey against Beau Ridge and various parties, Rittenhouse said. The litigation was settled in the last several months, for a confidential amount – “enough money” to rehabilitate the cemetery, Rittenhouse said.“I’m glad the destruction has stopped, the settlement made and the restoration started,” said Robert Hendrickson of Wall. Rittenhouse said it was “probably in the early ‘90s” the cemetery began falling into disrepair. In 1999, the family had a reunion and visited the cemetery, which “was a mess,” according to Hendrickson.Over the months, the cemetery has been cleaned, which remains a work in progress. In the last year or so, a wooden fence was put up as part of a Boy Scouts Eagle project, for example.The rehabilitation also includes clearing out vegetation, repositioning old gravestones, and putting in new, but historic-looking, gravestones.“We’re hoping for possibly September to have a rededication (of the cemetery),” Rittenhouse said.Lois Hendrickson Ketcham of Wall is a Hendricks-Hendrickson family member who does family history.“Doing family history, I’m proud how the family has been here from the beginning,” Ketcham said. “I don’t want to forget the past.”Although there is room for more burials, “we’re not planning on putting” more graves in, Rittenhouse said.Rittenhouse said it appears his roots through his maternal side go back to William Hendrickson, a founder of Holmdel. William and his brother, Daniel, another township founder, were buried at the cemetery in the early 1700s.Earlier this year, various family members visited cemetery together.“I’m very happy we’re all here today,” said Claire Hendrickson Waltsak of Wall. “I feel I’m made up of all these people buried here.“We’re still here,” Waltsak said. “I hope I make my founders proud.”
Mithali Raj scored her sixth One Day International hundred from 116 balls against New Zealand in a virtual quarter-final at the ICC Women’s World Cup in Derby on Saturday.Mithali, who recorded her second century in World Cups, ended up with 109 off 123 balls, studded with 10 fours.She eventually was caught out at deep midwicket off the bowling of Leigh Kasperek mistiming a drifter on leg stump with nine balls to end the innings. This interestingly was the first time she got out after scoring a hundred in her career, with all of her hundreds ended with her staying unbeaten. In process cancelling her 50th ODI fifty, a record for which she will have to wait.Fans celebrate #MithaliRaj’s century ????? #WWC17 #INDvNZ pic.twitter.com/jxVYn4Dah8- Cricket World Cup (@cricketworldcup) July 15, 2017Mithali Raj’s sixth ODI century leads India to 265/7 against New Zealand – enough for a semi-final spot? #INDvNZ #WWC17 pic.twitter.com/WUbXfbQuAR- Cricket World Cup (@cricketworldcup) July 15, 2017?????? A round of applause for the the captain! #WWC17 #INDvNZ pic.twitter.com/3z3scMrdlK- Cricket World Cup (@cricketworldcup) July 15, 2017But after her hundred she now has 55 fifty-plus scores, equalling England’s Charlotte Edwards, who has nine hundreds and 46 fifties. She also has been consistent throughout her ODI career with an average over 50 in 15 calendar years, since making her debut in 1999. She now has scored the most number of fifties in a calendar year with 10. Australia’s Ellyse Perry is second with nine fifties, which she managed in 2016. New Zealand’s Debbie Hockley (1997) and India’s Deepti Sharma (2017) both have eight each.advertisementMost 50+ in WODIs in a calendar year10 Mithali Raj 20179 Ellyse Perry 20168 Debbie Hockley (2+6) 19978 Deepti Sharma (1+7) 2017#IndvNZ- Mohandas Menon (@mohanstatsman) July 15, 2017Earlier, Mithali became the first batswoman to score 6000 runs in One-Day Internationals in the course of India’s World Cup league game against Australia at Bristol.The India captain, is now the leading run-scorer in women’s cricket, having overtaken Charlotte Edwards of England.Mithali broke the barrier in women’s cricket because she happens to be the only Asian in the list of top-10 run-scorers.The top-10 is dominated by women from England (3), Australia (3) and New Zealand. Stafanie Roxann Taylor is the only West Indian in the list.Mithali had earlier become the first woman in cricket history to hit seven consecutive fifties in ODIs. She hit 71 off 73 balls against England in their World Cup opener. She scored 44 against West Indies but was out for eight against Pakistan — bringing an end to her golden run. But she came back with a bang, scoring 53 against Sri Lanka to make it eight fifties from 10 inning. However, she fell for a golden duck in the previous match against South Africa.Raj’s first of the seven fifties came against Sri Lanka when she hit 70 not out at Colombo in February, 2017. Following that she scored an unbeaten 64 (South Africa), 73 (Bangladesh), 51* (South Africa), 54 (South Africa), 62* (South Africa), 71 (England).The 34-year-old right hander now has 6137 runs from 184 ODIs before this ODI. Her highest being 114* against Ireland in Milton Keynes back in 26 June, 1999. She has five centuries to her name and averages over 50.
Real Madrid coach Solari frustrated after Villarreal draw: We had it in our handsby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid coach Santiago Solari admitted frustration after their 2-2 draw with Villarreal.Santi Cazorla scored twice as Villarreal denied Real Madrid a chance to reduce the gap to La Liga leaders Barcelona.Cazorla’s curler earned the hosts an early lead before Karim Benzema’s header made it 1-1 after seven minutes.Raphael Varane’s header put Real ahead, but Cazorla’s late header moved Villarreal out of the relegation zone. Solari said, “We had it in our hands, we had to kill the match, then they pressed and scored the equaliser, they squeezed a lot, they are at home, they need the points. They attacked very well and we lacked depth.”On his decision to substitute Luka Modric, Solari explained, “He has given everything, Modric played with flu and has given us a lot of energy, everything he had, he made a great effort and a great match, when you leave everything you do not have energy for 90 minutes. “There are other players that can play, they are not Ballon d’Ors, but (Fede) Valverde at the moment he entered gave us energy and control, he has that stride and we are happy with the contribution of the youth.” About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
Everton winger Vlasic: Big Sam’s football was awfulby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveEverton winger Nikola Vlasic has taken aim at former manager Sam Allardyce.Now on-loan at CSKA Moscow, Vlasic found himself out of favour and struggling for playing time under Allardyce last season.”Everything changed after (Ronald) Koeman left,” Vlasic told Sportske Novosti.”The football played under Big Sam was awful, if it could even be called football.”In such football I do not have a place. The football team was terrified by everything – the fans mostly.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Allegri learning English as he targets Man Utd jobby Paul Vegas23 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Juventus boss Max Allegri has been learning English as he targets a switch to Manchester United.Red Devils manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is under pressure after a slow start to the season, with his team sitting in tenth on the Premier League table.The Guardian says Allegri would be keen to replace Solskjaer at Old Trafford if the Norwegian is sacked.The Italian, who left his role at Juventus, would be willing to take the job at United even if the club do not quality for next season’s Champions League.He has been taking English lessons in preparation and would be placed on a two or three man shortlist by United should Solskjaer be sacked.However, the club do not have any plans to part ways with a coach they only recently signed to a three-year extension. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Real Madrid coach Zidane hails Benzema leadershipby Carlos Volcano2 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane has hailed the leadership Karim Benzema is showing this season.The French striker shone in victory at Champions League opponents Galatasaray last night.On Benzema’s performance, Zidane said: “The leadership role of Benzema? It comes naturally to him. “He knows he’s a captain and he takes it naturally. We are all in the same boat and everyone has to contribute in their own way. “Karim does it in his way of playing and giving instructions.”
GRANDE CACHE, A.B. – The Grande Cache RCMP are looking for the public’s help in location Tommy Harrington after his pick-up was found 70km north of Grande Cache.Tommy Lanc Harrington was last believed to have been with his pickup on the Cinch Road, 70km north of Grande Cache on the evening of Jan. 5, 2019, at approximately 9:00 p.m., Tommy’s truck has been located stuck at that location within sight of Hwy 40.It is not known if Tommy was picked up in the area. Tommy has not been in contact since that time. Tommy is described as:Indigenous5’8″145lbsBrown hairBrown eyesWearing jeansBlue hoodieThere is a general concern for Tommy’s safety and well-being. If you have seen Tommy or have any information on his whereabouts, please contact the Grande Cache RCMP at 780-827-3344.If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the “P3 Tips” app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.
Students are being encouraged to participate and support the games through competition, volunteering and spectating.To view the post; CLICK HERE FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The North Peace Secondary School has posted to its website, School District 60 is a partner group to the BC Winter Games and its facilities will be closed during the games.Thursday, February 20, 2020, and Friday, February 21, 2020, the District is participating as a partner group in support of the games. The post shares, this is a substantial community initiative.For the two days, Thursday and Friday there will be no regular instruction at any school sites or bus service.
Washington: The Trump administration is now focused on pressing Pakistan to take “sustained and irreversible” actions against terrorist groups operating from its soil, a senior American diplomat has said. Recently, tensions between India and Pakistan escalated after a suicide bomber of Pakistan-based terror group Jaish-e-Mohammed killed 40 CRPF personnel in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pulwama district in February 14. A senior State Department official said Friday that the US stood “publicly and resolutely” with India in its response to the attack. Also Read – Squadrons which participated in Balakot air strike awarded citations on IAF Day “Now we are focused on pressing Pakistan to take sustained, irreversible action on terrorist groups operating on its soil, and we are working with others in the international community to achieve this goal,” the official said. “The United States stood publicly and resolutely with India in its response to the attack, as you saw in our statements, while joining the international community in encouraging both sides to avoid military escalation, de-escalate tensions and communicate directly,” he said. Also Read – Don’t use ‘lynching’ to defame India: Bhagwat In the aftermath of the Pulwama attack, the United States has not only supported India’s right to self-defence, but also has been building sustained pressure on Pakistan to take action against terrorist groups. Earlier in the day, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told Fox News that Pakistan has to stop harbouring terrorists. “We saw what happened with India, the conflict that arose there as a result of terrorists that departed from Pakistan. We need Pakistanis to step up. They need to stop harbouring terrorists,” he said. Pompeo had played a key role in de-escalation of tensions between India and Pakistan after Indian jets carried out air strikes at terrorist training camps of JeM in Balakot. Senior officials who are part of the de-escalation efforts in South Asia believe that this is only possible as long as there is no terrorist attack inside India coming from Pakistan. The recent talks between India and Pakistan on Kartarpur corridor is considered as a positive development in the US. The US officials believe that both Islamabad and New Delhi have shown seriousness in de-escalating the tensions. At the same time, they believe that the onus for this largely lies on Pakistan. If Pakistan continues with its age-old policy of supporting terrorist groups, the Trump administration may look into other options which could range from selective visa ban, revoking its non-NATO ally status and even cutting civilian aid to Pakistan. Since January 2018, US President Donald Trump has stopped all security assistance to Pakistan. It is understood that the focus for the Trump administration is not on any punitive action against Pakistan, but to convince its leadership including Prime Minister Imran Khan and Army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa that it is in their interest to take sustained and irreversible actions against terrorist groups, the official said. The focus right now is to convince Pakistan that it is not in its interest to be isolated from the international community and it is in its interest to maintaining stable relationship with India, he said. Post Balakot, Pakistan has been told time and again that the reason that the situation is fragile in South Asia because of cross border terrorism, he said. In the wake of the Pulwama terror attack, India launched a major diplomatic offensive against Pakistan, holding briefing for envoys of 25 countries, including those from the five permanent UNSC members — the US, China, Russia, the UK and France — to highlight Islamabad’s role in using terrorism as an instrument of state policy.
The sensual nature of modern times has seeped into college football. Offense has never been sexier. Whether it’s Penn State’s Spread HD, Oregon’s wide-open zone read or Florida’s shotgun spread offense, teams are piling up both points and “style points” in recent years. In 2008, Oklahoma rode the arm of Heisman winner Sam Bradford all the way to the national title game, smashing record after record in its path, eclipsing the mark for most points in a season. Four-star quarterbacks Bradford, Tim Tebow of Florida, Colt McCoy of Texas and Jimmy Clausen of Notre Dame, defined the 2009 season. But substance doesn’t always translate to success. None of those teams won the big prize last season. Reigning national champion Alabama relied on a stout defense and a run-heavy playbook that would make Woody Hayes smile in its run to the top. The Ohio State offense will attempt to emulate the Crimson Tide’s winning formula in its push for an eighth national championship. That’s not to say OSU will run a “run and hide” offense a la the 2002 national championship team; anyone who has seen the first three games of the season would testify otherwise. But to attain success in football, one must protect the ball. Before the advent of the forward pass and subsequent explosion of offense in the game, field position ranked a close second. Thanks to the speed and athleticism of modern players, that’s no longer true. But that doesn’t mean coaches have forgotten about it. Jim Tressel believes the most important play in football is the punt. The punt is about as sexy as Larry the Cable Guy in a wet suit. Fortunately for OSU and its fans, the Buckeye offense has more than passed the eye test this year, becoming more Boise State than “three yards and a cloud of dust.” Part of that is because of the maturation of quarterback Terrelle Pryor. The reason Pryor has been given the keys to the sports car instead of the minivan this year is simple: He has minimized his turnovers. So long as No. 2 plays smart football, we won’t see the field-position, run-heavy offense Tressel employed following the Purdue loss last season. In fact, OSU leads the nation so far this season with a plus-10 turnover margin. That bodes well for an experienced team with a stifling defense, a balanced offense and a coach that knows how to close out games. In 2009, Boise State, who finished the season undefeated and beat TCU in the Fiesta Bowl, finished second in the nation in turnover margin. National champion Alabama finished No. 4. The top two teams in 2008? Florida and Oklahoma. The top teams in turnover margin that season? Florida and Oklahoma. If OSU is indeed destined for its eighth national title this year, it won’t be determined by Pryor’s numbers or “style points.” It will be because they didn’t shoot themselves in the foot going for the curvaceous blonde with no brains.