first_imgKeble 0Hertford 1: On the afternoon of Halloween, Keble and Hertford dished up a spectacle of football that was more treat than trick. In this one-goal thriller, Hertford triumphed in the battle for leadership of divsion One . It was rip-roaring stuff right from the off, with pint-sized Hertford keeper, John dowie, flicking over an early free kick from richard Craig. Soon after, Keble’s Tom Collins motored forward down the left, with his attempted lob floating inches wide. Hertford were soon involved, and their effervescent football dominated the rest of a breathless first half. In the 20th minute Tom Parker powered a free header over the goal, while the Hertford midfield were dictating play effectively.Then came the turn of the woodwork. In the 27th minute one of many excellent corner deliveries by Craig was flicked to rich Capper who powered the ball towards goal, only for dowie to divert it onto the bar. The Keble post was in action moments later as a Hertford through ball was controlled by striker Constantin albot who lifted the ball over goalkeeper Southern, only to see it rebound off the woodwork. as bonfire night approaches, this was the wood fighting back.After half-time, the fireworks soon restarted, with Hertford taking the lead on 50 minutes. a Keble back pass gave Hertford an indirect free kick just five yards out. The ball was tapped to Hertford captain, John Creighton, who smashed an uncompromising piledriver which flew past the mass of defensive bodies and past the goalkeeper. Keble piled forward to preserve their status as division leaders. But their attacks were too direct and were gobbled up by the superb David Beatham in defence. There was more method in the Hertford attacks, with Okusaga and Pete Meiklejohn on the wings and rob Knight up front picking their way through the Keble defence. The latter had a shot well saved by a sprawling Southern when clean through in the 80th minute. The only Keble attack of note was a disallowed goal from a Craig free kick, ruled out for a push in the area. players tired, the game deteriorated and Hertford held on for the win.  ARCHIVE: 4th week MT 2005last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *