View comments No.13 lucky for Orlando Bloom LATEST STORIES Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew MOST READ Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college The Azkals need maximum effort if they want to thwart Vietnam in its home field and advance to the Suzuki Cup title duel. —CONTRIBUTED PHOTO/LAGARDERE SPORTS.HANOI—The Philippines needs its greatest performance yet to finally get a shot at Southeast Asian football’s biggest prize.With the odds stacked heavily against them, the Azkals not only need to summon their trademark never-say-die spirit but would have to be as clinical and incisive as ever as they try to overturn a 2-1 first leg semifinal defeat against favorites Vietnam on Thursday night before an expected sellout crowd at My Dinh Stadium.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. ‘Mia’: Rom-com with a cause a career-boosting showcase for Coleen Garcia Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew It may seem a stretch to note that their win against Vietnam in the “Miracle in Hanoi” on Dec. 5, 2010 also happened to be 2-0, but Younghusband said they need every bit of inspiration to topple the region’s top-ranked team.“It’s been mentioned a lot in the past few days, but we know it was at a different time and with different players and a different situation,” said Younghusband. “But for us on the team, we always take inspiration from that performance because I think that game typified what we’re all about as a team with that never-say-die spirit.”The Azkals, however, do have some concerns heading into the match, particularly in defense, which coach Sven-Goran Eriksson felt gave away two easy goals in the first leg. There will be little room for error for Carlie de Murga, Alvaro Silva, Martin Steuble and Adam Reed at the back with Vietnam looking to kill the tie off with an early goal.Vietnam’s defense was breached for the first time in the tournament, thanks to a flowing move finished off by the in-form Patrick Reichelt.The Azkals, for the most part, however, found the Vietnamese tough to crack.ADVERTISEMENT Coseteng spearheads PH kart bid After winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folk The Azkals are no strangers to pulling off magical feats, but they can’t expect any favors from a Vietnamese side that also carries the weight of expectation from a nation that treats the sport as a religion similar to the Filipinos’ devotion to basketball.As early as last week, tickets for the match kicking off at 8:30 p.m. (Manila time) were already sold out and scalpers outside My Dinh Stadium last Wednesday were selling them at six times their original price with the best tickets going for 6 million Vietnamese dong or around P13,500.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back Chriss“We’re looking forward to the game, we know it will be difficult, but we have good memories here in Hanoi and at this stadium,” said Azkals captain Phil Younghusband. “We’re still in the game. We still have a chance.”The Azkals are left with a daunting task to score at least a 2-0 win to reach the finals, where the winner of the Thailand-Malaysia clash awaits. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award
Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew No.13 lucky for Orlando Bloom Anthony Davis’ 44 points, 18 rebounds help Pelicans top Thunder Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum View comments The league office slapped a P50,000 fine on Barroca for hitting Banchero in the groin area in the final three minutes of the game that the Aces comfortably won, 90-76.Alaska head coach Alex Compton was also penalized P20,000 for “issuing statements detrimental to the league.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissCompton accused game officials of letting Magnolia players get away with cheap shots in Game 4 including Barroca’s hit on Banchero.“Somebody punched Chris in the testicles and at what point is that going to get called? I don’t know,” said Compton Wednesday at Smart Araneta Coliseum. “That’s dirty basketball, to call it anything else would be a lie, and I’m not a liar.” Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award MANILA, Philippines—The PBA fined Magnolia point guard Mark Barroca for his illegal hit on Alaska floor general Chris Banchero in Game 4 of the Governors’ Cup finals Wednesday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.ADVERTISEMENT After winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folk Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew MOST READ LATEST STORIES Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil The series is tied at 2-2 with Game 5 scheduled on Friday at the Big Dome.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? ‘Mia’: Rom-com with a cause a career-boosting showcase for Coleen Garcia Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.
Despite the presence of the Ebola virus and government’s lack of capacity to combat the spread of the disease, Capitol Hill has passed a budget of US$660,236,000 million.A draft National budget was submitted to the Legislature by the Executive in April of this year for deliberations, before opening it to full plenary. Liberia was hit by the second outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus disease. Since then, the budget had been debated and discussed behind closed-doors until yesterday when it surfaced on the floor of the House of Representatives.The Committee on Ways, Means and Finance and Public Accounts presented the bill before plenary.“Having thoroughly scrutinized the Draft National Budget for FY 2014/15 and derived a National Budget envelope of US$660,236,000, the Joint Committee requests the passage of the FY14/15 National Budget into law,” the Committee said.Representative Munah Pelham-Youngblood’s motion to pass the draft law was overwhelmingly endorsed and immediately transmitted to the Senate for concurrence.The Senate then acted with speed and passed the Act in an Executive Session and has since communicated that to President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf for signature and expected to be printed into handbill by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.In the 2014/15 Budget, government is set to collect US$25 million for signature bonus from the sale of oil blocks 6, 7, 16 & 17 while Contingent Borrowing is set at US$10 million.According to the Joint Committee, the Executive submitted an initial budget envelope of US$473,252,000 but additional US$7,047,000 revenue was realized during budget hearings. It was realized that government is to collect US$74, 300,000 from Grant (contingent) and Grant (core) respectively. Borrowing (core) is US$70,637,000 in the new budget.The fate of civil servants still hangs in the balance as up to press time, as there was no news about the over 40,000 public workers in the new budget.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
PASADENA – Two juveniles and an 18-year-old were arrested for their role in an altercation following a basketball game at Muir High School in Pasadena late Tuesday. A fight broke out in the school parking lot as students, family and fans streamed out of the gym after Pasadena High School defeated Murrieta Valley around 9:30 p.m., said Pasadena police Lt. Keith Jones. Jarmon Sanford, 18, of Pasadena was arrested along with two juveniles, he said. Muir Assistant Principal Ben Ramirez said two of the arrestees were Muir students, while the third was a former student. A perimeter was set up at Casitas Avenue and Montana Street as authorities searched for a youth who fled after attacking a police officer during the fracas, said Lt. Randell Taylor. The youth was never located, Jones said. The three teens – all of them known gang members – were held on suspicion of numerous violations including assault with a deadly weapon, resisting arrest and interfering with a police officer, Taylor said. firstname.lastname@example.org (626) 578-6300, Ext. 4461 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Students who witnessed the struggle said horseplay after the game was misinterpreted by police as fighting, according to Ramirez. “The students started questioning and challenging police, which led to the arrests,” he said. “The students told me they were joking around.” Ramirez added, however, that he believed police were justified in doing “what was necessary, thinking it was a fight.” Police were already on school grounds when the altercation broke out, Jones said. It was unclear what prompted the fight, he said.
Football fans have been given the power to choose the new cover star for the latest edition of the FIFA gaming series, FIFA 16.And while Aguero, Kane, Henderson and Courtois are the options for the UK edition, we’ve chosen some more ‘interesting’ players who could grace the front cover of the biggest football game in the world.Take a look through our choices, and vote in the comments whether you want Nicklas Bendtner, Phil Jones, or one of 10 possible alternatives.For more of the best sports entertainment on YouTube, subscribe to talkSPORT!
Aston Villa have recalled Aly Cissokho from his loan spell at Porto, the Portuguese club have confirmed.The left-back will return to Villa, although he cannot play until January, with Jordan Amavi out for the season with a serious knee injury. Cissokho played under boss Remi Garde at Lyon and the 49-year-old has opted to bring him back with Villa bottom of the Barclays Premier League. Leandro Bacuna, a right-back, played on the left in Sunday’s 2-0 defeat to Arsenal which left Villa eight points from safety with Kieran Richardson failing to impress while deputising for Amavi. Former Liverpool loanee Cissokho, 28, has made 27 appearances since signing from Valencia under Paul Lambert in 2014 but he has made just two league appearances for Porto this term. He initially joined Porto on a season-long loan deal in August. 1 Aly Cissokho
LIVING THE DREAM 3 The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star Having seen Mount progress through the Blues academy during the latter stages of his career, the former England international needed little convincing to snap the 19-year-old up.He told Derby’s official club website: “I’m delighted to get both of these deals done and add players of their quality and calibre to the squad.“I know Mason really well from my Chelsea links and I have also watched him play in their very successful youth teams.“I knew him from those days and I watched him closely at Vitesse, where he took it by storm. Wilson spent last season at Hull City, and is a full Wales international Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer The Rams also completed the signing of Liverpool youngster Harry Wilson.The youngest ever player to represent Wales, Wilson signed a new contract with the Reds before completing his move.And Lampard admitted it was a fantastic signing for the Championship side.He added: “Harry brings incredible quality and hunger to the table here and he showed that last year while he was on loan at Hull. He’s a full international too and he has a real desire to come here and improve. LATEST Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father 3 Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade RANKED Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland Derby County have completed the signings of Harry Wilson from Liverpool, and Mason Mount from Chelsea.Rams boss Frank Lampard moved quickly to snap the highly-rated duo up on season-long loan deals. Latest transfer stories from talkSPORT.com Lampard watched his Derby side win 4-1 in a friendly against Notts County targets “He’s going to be a crucial player for us. I keep talking about creativity and the importance of trying to excite the fans and he’s the sort of player that can do that with the quality that he has.“For himself too, to have a year at this level and feel an important player at an important club, that will be important.“Hopefully it’s a great platform for him, but on a selfish note, we have got ourselves a real quality player.” moving on targets Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ “His numbers are incredible for an attacking midfield player of his age and it’s a massive coup for me to get him here.“He can bring us creativity in the attacking midfield area, goals, assists as well as energy. He was wanted across Europe by top, top, clubs and we should be very happy that we have got him.“The thing about Mason is it’s not just on the pitch. He’s so dedicated and hungry off it too.“He wants to do well, and he wants to improve. This is a real stage to develop for him and to go out and play at a really competitive level with us. His character and quality are going to be huge for us.” 3 REVEALED IN DEMAND Mount spent last season on loan at Vitesse Arnhem
Cinn Bhain in the hills of Donegal. Photo by Peter McBride.Cranford man Peter McBride has grown up in the hills of Donegal.But it was only on a recent trip back from Dublin where he works as a graphic designer that he finally realised the beauty of those hills.Photographer and graphic designer Peter McBride.Getting up close and personal to the cracks in the rocks, the marvelous moss, the hidden heathers and the fabulous ferns brought home the real beauty of Seantealach. And he decided to put that hidden beauty on display for whoever wanted to see it.Peter’s solo exhibition, Radharc Eile – Another View, will run for the month of July at the Powercourt Centre in Dublin.Its official launch evening will be on Thursday, July 10th at 6.30pm and is open to anyone from Donegal (and even those not from Donegal!) who happen to be in the capital.If you happen to be in Dublin that day or any day in July – pop along to Peter’s exhibition and take Another View. Caonach dearg. Photo by Peter McBride. ‘ANOTHER VIEW’ OF DONEGAL TO GO ON EXHIBITION IN DUBLIN was last modified: July 1st, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CranforddonegalPeter MvcBridephotographerRadharc Eile
Independent councillor Mícheál Choilm Mac Giolla Easbuig has urged the government and Donegal County Council to review the level of funding for the Donegal Islands. Last August, €359,000 had been allocated to all the Donegal Islands, a reduction of 25% in funding levels to the year prior.Speaking to Donegal Daily after visiting residents on Gola Island, Mícheál Cholm said serious investment and support was needed for the islands before it was too late. “The islands are very important to the county and I have spent a lot of time and focus over the last five years on them,” he said“For me, they are very important and I hold them close to my heart and they have been neglected by successive governments and councils in Donegal, which isn’t right or fair to the people who spend their lives there.“And the vast majority of our councillors don’t bother with the islands because they see it as politically irrelevant, that’s the truth of the matter.”Cllr Mícheál Choilm on Gola Island on Sunday“It is about treating people equally right across Donegal and those islands have a massive influence on our culture and history. “Walking through Gola (Island) on Sunday you could see clearly the lack of investment and not just on the infrastructure but into the people themselves who have been neglected for generations.“But what excites me now is the new group of young people that are starting a return to the island and see themselves, just like their ancestors before them, as islanders.“So, the powers at be, need to be supporting these young people at every opportunity and, we as a council and as a state, need to be doing far more than is being done at present.”Urgent funding required for ‘politically irrelevant’ Donegal Islands – Cllr Mac Giolla Easbuig was last modified: March 25th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:gola island
SANTA CLARA — Marquise Goodwin reserved comment Friday on what personal issue kept him out the past two games, but he’s happy to return for the 49ers’ game Sunday when the Denver Broncos visit, and one aspect that excites him is teaming up with red-hot receiver Dante Pettis.“I’m very excited for the opportunity to be on the same field at the same time with him,” Goodwin said. “We’ve dealt with a lot of injuries, a lot of mishaps.”Pettis accounted for all three of the 49ers’ touchdowns in …